Reviews 1 Review5/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Ultimate
Group Size Large Group
Hermanus is regarded as the whale watching capital of South Africa and there are few better ways to see these gentle giants in their natural environment than on a boat based whale watching trip. The tours are operated from the New Harbour in Hermanus and departs 3 to 4 times daily depending on the time of year and weather and sea conditions. The permit issued to the operators entitles them to approach the whales up to 50m and then stop, allowing the whales to decide whether to approach the boat or not. Being curious they normally approach the boat and enjoy a quick peek at their visitors. This is an experience to be treasured.
- The peak whale season runs from June to mid December, annually. The exact date all depends when the star performers arrive and depart. All Ages are Welcome. Our Whale Specialist guide will interpret the marine life encountered en route and provide insight into the behaviour of the whales while you are watching them in action.
- Light Refreshments included (soft drink or still water and packet of crisps)
YOU WILL NEED
- weather appropriate clothing and a windbreaker
- sensible footwear
- sunscreen; cap if necessary
- Sea sick tablets should be taken in advance as per packet instructions- if necessary
It normally takes 3 hours
A trip can last anything from 1H30M up to 3 HRS, although it normally takes about 3HRS. The duration of the trip depends entirely on how far away the whales are. Once there, the boat is permitted to spend 20mins with each pod of whales.